Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Play that funky music

Tonight was Landon's piano recital. This is something he has been stressing over for a while. He has played in two other recitals, however, the first one he played in he conned his teacher {my mom} into letting him use his music even though he didn't need it, and the second one didn't require memorization. This year, he was given the warning that no amount of pleading to his Nana would work. He had his pieces perfect. But, he still wanted to go and have a piano lesson today JUST IN CASE. This could have been a free week for him! You'd think he'd take a week off? Nope. He had to squeeze one more time in to make sure he had it just right.
This afternoon {5 hours till the recital} he asked me what would happen if he got sick. Would he still have to go to the recital? His mean mom told him that even if he threw up, he was playing at the recital. :0)
Two hours later he pleaded for his music. His mean mom told him he didn't need it. He had his pieces memorized PERFECT.
My son takes after his mommy. When we stress...it seriously affects our tummies. {too much information?} My poor son was in the potty for a while after he began to realize he was really going to have to go through with it. :0(
Landon was third on the list of kids playing the piano. He saw that some of the other kids only had to play one piece. He was mad. "How come they only have to play one and I have to play two?!" Honestly, my mom was only going to have him play one, because she knew how stressed he got at recitals. But, she had given him the 'Star Wars Theme' for a fun song to play a few months back thinking it would be something that would challenge him and he LOVED it. So much so, that he began to memorize it on his own. So, she had him play it as well for the recital. Anyway....the first child begins to play and he starts begging again.
Landon: "What if I throw up on the piano?"
Me: "Well, I guess you'll just have to go play on the other one then."
L: "What if I throw up on that one too?"
M: "We'll clean it off and you can start all over again."
Aren't I just the meanest? What worse is that he takes after me. So I completely understand his fear. We are perfectionists. And honestly...if we can't do it right...it's not worth doing at all right? And goodness knows we can't let people know we could actually mess up!
I feel for this boy. But, I know if he isn't pushed to do things outside of his comfort zone, he could end up being scared to do EVERYTHING. I don't want that for him. Besides...he plays beautifully. I have to show him off right? :0)
The second child got up to play, and he is whispering his pleadings in my ear now. "PUH-lease mom! What if I mess up? What if I forget the song?"
I continue to reassure him. The second girl finishes and as the audience claps, he tells me he's not getting up there. I tell him he will play great and to not worry about it. He gives me a frightened look, and stands up.
Can I just tell you what an awesome job he did? Yes, he missed a note in the first song, and had a minor error in the second...but he kept going and finished each song fabulously. He did it! I'm so proud! And honestly...I'm relieved. Because as nervous as he was....I was three times as nervous for him. I played each song in my head as he played it on the piano. His staccato's were magnificent....and his last note of 'Indian Dance' was as fortisimo as his skinny little arms could play it.
His reward? Cold Stone! Yes, we went and ate really fattening ice cream with Jaysen's parents and my mom. Thanks to Rita and Perry, and my Grams and Gramps for coming to the recital. It meant a lot to Landon that you were there.

8 comments:

Cameron said...

Sweet! Congrats Landon. I still remember the first song I ever memorized.

And I'm pretty sure you do too...

Momma Mary said...

Aw! I bet he did a GREAT job and that no one really noticed the errors. Yeah Landon for facing your fears and playing BOTH songs! (but the Star Wars one, that was better, huh? yeah, I thought so.)

Holly said...

Congrats Landon! I want to hear you play it when we come up!

Barbara said...

Ashley,Here is the story... Morris has been trying to get us to a point were I can retire and not teach anymore.
This afternoon he came in the living room where Teagan and I were playing with the kids and started to tell us this story about what he would do when he felt it was time for me to retire. He said he was going to come into one of our Friday meetings at school with all the teachers and he would rent a officers uniform and wear it and come over to me an swoop me up into his arms like in an officer and a gentleman and carry me out of the school and turn just as we were leaving to tell my boss “Adios” ….soooooooooo sweet… You had to watch him tell it..so out of character for this logical thinker!!! My Hero…I told him he got lots of points for even thinking up that whole thing…Wouldn’t you agree?
B.

Anonymous said...

Landon played wonderful at his recital! He does get nervous -- but most of us do. Thanks Landon for working so hard to prepare. You are awesome. Nana

Buxton Family said...

Landon, you look like a natural at the piano. I wish so much I could have been there to hear you play. Congratulations!

Lauren in GA said...

Great Job, Landon!!!!

I love your title!!!

I love that you were nervous with him! You are a great and supportive mom!

Montay said...

Wooo hOOO Go Landon you look great playing your funky music