Landon is taking swimming lessons this week at the YMCA. Sadly, he is 8 and hasn't ever taken "real" lessons before. He took a few at the gym a couple of years ago before Mackenzee was born, but all he got out of that was how to doggy paddle. :0) So, I figured it was about time he learned how to swim for real. {I'm such a slacker mommy}
He has been having so much fun with it. He's learned to float on his back and stomach {he loves the "Dead Man Float"} and he's started to swim forward and on his back as well just using basic strokes. He's doing pretty good too! I know I'm his mom, and so I'm extremely partial, but when they did their little race at the end, though he didn't win, he was the only one that actually SWAM for real. They are in water that's only up to their shoulders, so the kids usually just walk as they move their arms. You can see them bouncing up and down as they tried to "swim" to the finish line. Landon doggy paddled the whole way across the pool. I was pretty proud of him. :0)
And, as I'm trying to watch my son and be a good mommy, my dear daughter is trying to slowly kill me with her toddlerness. I love her to death, but today was definitely one of those "I'd love to trade her in for a new pair of shoes" days. We had places to go after swimming lessons. Important things to do. So, she couldn't get dirty and wet. She didn't care. She ran splashing through all of the little puddles that had been created by the previous swimmers and crawled around on the dirty pavement barking like a dog. At one point, she booked it for the pool. I was waiting for that one and caught her before she reached the steps. I swear she does stuff like this just to watch me get frustrated. Here she is with that little smirk on her face, like, "will you catch me if I make a run for it?" Sadly, she looks so much like me as a little girl in this picture that it's scary. Was I this bad? I tell myself that I wasn't....mom...you tell everyone I was really good ok? Mackenzee gets her "crazy" on because of the Burnham genes, right? It can't be because of me......sigh. :0)
Anyway...Landon's favorite part of lessons is free swim, because then he gets to go down the slide. It would be my favorite part too. :0)Here's to hoping he learns how to swim even just a little bit out of this. Make this slacker mommy feel better! :0)




9 comments:
You are not a slacker Mom!
That little girl is so cute....I think that is why Heavenly Father makes toddlers so adorable...so we don't kill them ;)
slowly kill me with her toddlerness.
OMG... I understand. I am so there right now too. UGH!
The slide looks fun!
I need to get Reagan into swimming lessons at some point, but I don't want to drag my other 2 along, so it may be a while.
I love that he likes to go swimming Cole wanted to do the spring break swim lessons as well but with the baby I had to say no hope I can do it in the summer but like you say then you have the toddler chase me thing and that with a baby Hummm on second thought maybe he can wait another year...
Good job Landon! Once he can swim across the pool, you should put him on the swim team. My kids are amazing swimmers since they started swimming on a summer team. I'm sure there aren't as many where it is cold, but they are in almost every neighobrhood here. Got to love Kenzee...what a cutie.
At the very least he's gonna have fun and that's the main thing right?
Looks like fun Landon!! Austin can't wait for swimming lessons this summer. We'll have to go swimming together.
ooohhh, nice job, Landon! - I think he must be a natural (and you have a natural 2-year old too - lucky you :) )
Yes you were that bad as a kid. You're still that bad.
Remember that summer we took swimming lessons? And at the end we had a race between the two classes? Or that other summer when we took diving lessons? I owe all of my backflip skills to that summer.
Post a Comment