Sunday, February 22, 2009

Weekend Getaway

Remember when I said that Jerome was going to State Basketball Tournaments? Well, we thought it would be fun to go up to Boise this last weekend and watch Haylee play. Their first game was Thursday night.
Unfortunately, Haylee didn't get to play at all in this first game, but it was fun to watch the girls work so good together out on the court. They won the game with no problems and were set to play the next night.

Since there was so much time to kill the next day, I had Jaysen drop me off at my sister's house so the kids could play with their cousins while he went off to play with the boys. The kids had so much fun hanging out together, too. (Landon was hiding in this picture)We took them back to the hotel for some swimming as that was Landon't main requirement for the trip. :0) Litte Paige had never been swimming before and couldn't get enough of the water. She was so funny splashing around in the kids pool, too. The hotel we stay at has a little 1 foot deep pool for little kids to play in, which we enjoy as Kenzee can play freely. Crystal and I didn't suit up, and figured we could just watch the kids enjoy themselves in the water. Well, little Paige had a different idea. She got a little overzealous and fell face first in to the middle of the kiddie pool. Now, she can stand up on her own, and she knows how to walk....but I think the whole shock of her face being underwater stalled her a bit too long. Crystal ended up having to jump into the kiddie pool to save little Paige. Of course, since the pool was only a foot deep, only her feet and bottoms of her pants got wet, but still! And Paige....yeah...she couldn't wait to jump back in. That little girl is busy! Besides that little snafu, all went well and the kids had a great time.
Crystal decided to take the younger two kids back home and then come back with Genea to watch Jerome play their second game of the tournaments. We were all excited to see the girls play again and had high hopes for them. So many Burnham's showed up to offer their support, too.

The game was a tough one. I think I yelled and screamed more than I have in a long time. Haylee got in a bit of playing time and it was so fun to watch her play. She is such a good player, and with only being a freshman, I can only imagine how good she will be as a senior. It was really close all the way through, and in the end, we thought we would come out victorious. We were up by one point with seconds left, and we ended up fouling one of the girls on the other team. She made both of her foul shots...and well....we lost by those two foul shots.

I felt so badly for the girls, and especially Haylee because I have seen how hard she is on herself. They still had one game left the next afternoon to try to make a slight comeback. They wouldn't be able to take first, but they could come close. Crystal decided to come back with her kids for that game as well.

We were all pumped and ready to cheer on the girls. Jaysen even got Kenzee a state t-shirt with Haylee's number on it. :0) Haylee played quite a bit during this game and showed off her wicked awesome basketball skills. :0) Yes, she totally made the shot here. :0) At the end, the girls beat out the other team and took 3rd place in the 4A Idaho State Girls Basketball Tournaments!It was a bittersweet win for them, though, as they lost out on a higher ranking by a one point loss. No matter what, we are so proud of you Haylee! You played well and Mackenzee told Jaysen she wanted to be a basketball player like you when she was bigger. :0) And, not only that...but I think Landon got a few pointers from watching Haylee play as well. We hurried back home after the last game so that Landon could still play in his game. We made it just in time too. But, Landon was far more defensively aggressive than he ever has been. I mean...hey...if girls can do it so can he. Right?

2 comments:

Buxton Family said...

I wish I could have been there. Congratulations Haylee!

Holly said...

We need to take all the kids swimming together this year. I'm planning on coming up for a week or so this summer without Cam so the kids can play.