Thursday, October 30, 2008

Checking another item off the list

It has been pretty crazy around here....what with birthday parties, finals week, my new Relief Society calling, our Halloween party....you get the idea. I think I've been running on fumes lately. But, today I was able to check one more item off of the "to do" list for this psycho time of year. :0)

Today was Landon's class party for Halloween. And, honestly, though it took some time getting the preparations together, it was a lot of fun. Landon still loves for me to come and be a part of his classroom fun, and I'm going to take it while I can get it. :0) What was even more fun this year was that I was able to take Mackenzee with me. I figured this year she was old enough to join in the festivities.

The party starts with a costume parade, where each classroom walks up and down the hall to "show off" their costumes. What was fun about this was that I got to see most of Landon's friends in their costumes. Though you can't see his face under the mask, Darth Vader is really just Hatim in disguise. Doesn't he look fierce? And Cole dressed up as Ben 10. There was this awesome lady who made his shirt for him so that he looked JUST like the kid on tv that changes into an alien. Of course, it did help that he had the Omnitrix {the watch}. Landon was such a good brother and asked Mackenzee if she wanted to walk with him. She was so excited and I was so proud that he wanted to take his little sister on parade. :0) They held hands as they walked up and down the hall and through the different classrooms. When they got back to the classroom he found an extra chair and put it next to his desk so that she could sit next to him during the party. I think they were both eating up the attention that they got from her being there.

I had some fun activities planned for the kids and thankfully it went off without any problems. We played a candy bar relay, had a mummy wrapping competition and then I had the kids decorate paper plates like Halloween masks while they ate their cupcakes and candy.

All in all it was a great afternoon. I don't know how long I'll be able to keep up with being "cool" to Landon, but so far I'm still "in". :0)

Another quick share here....

The Harvest Festival was tonight as well. I asked Landon if he was wanting to go and he said no. When I asked him why, I found out that he didn't even know what was going to be happening there. {SIGH} So, I reminded him of last year's party and of how much fun he had then, and do you want to know what MY son said?........


"Yeah, but that's because you came up with the games."

Can I just tell you that I almost cried? I'm not even kidding. He figured the games had to have been my idea because he LIKED them. If I hadn't been driving the car I would have given him a big old hug. Instead....I just beamed.

Now, to be honest...I didn't make up a single one of the games last year and wasn't even in charge of it. BUT, because I was the PTA treasurer I was in charge of coordinating helpers and making sure the games ran smoothly and were set up in time. But in no way was I creatively involved. Did I tell him that? NO WAY! It's not often that I get moments like that one! Most of the time he tells me I'm mean because I make him take a shower and clean his room. Oh...and eat the disgusting dinners I cook. You know...the usual mean mom stuff. So, to hear him reveal THE TRUTH about his complete adoration for me {Ok...so now I'm just getting a ginormous head off of it}...was priceless. I took it and ran.


Sigh.....I needed today. Even with the stress and the running around and what not....today was a good day.


Thanks Landon. You rock.

No comments: