Friday, September 26, 2008

Just Peachy!

I have wanted to more "homemaker"-ish for a long time. I don't sew, though I really want to learn. My mom is an amazing seamstress and my grandmother is the Queen seamstress of them all. And then...there's me. Sigh.
Though this is the third year I have planted a garden all on my own, this is the first year I have produced more than a few green beans. Bugs ate everything the past couple of years at my old house. :0( This year...I've finally got tomatoes, corn, squash, and jalapeno peppers! The watermelon plant still died...but hey! It's a start right?
I picked more strawberries this year so that I could make more freezer jam. I think Jaysen would die without it. :0) But beyond that, I have never canned ANYTHING all by myself before. I helped in the process growing up, but haven't ever done it alone.
Well, Jaysen's mom has a peach tree. And she wasn't going to can them. And so they would be FREE! My mom....she has about 40 million quart canning jars and said she would give me some....for FREE! So how could I NOT can some peaches? Seriously! FREE!
So, yesterday I went out to Jerome and with the help of Mackenzee and Rita I picked two ginormous bins of peaches. Sadly, though I grabbed my camera on the way out, the memory card was not in it. So, no pictures of my little one picking them. :0(
After picking, we went out to my mom's house for a crash course in canning. Fourteen jars and two hours later, I had it down. I had only made a slight dent in one of the bins of peaches though. :0)
Today...
today was the day I pushed up my sleeves and finished off the first bin without my mom's help.
I did have others helping though. :0)
Notice how thrilled Jaysen was to come home to a messy kitchen and a pleading wife. Isn't he so nice to get his hands all peachy for me?
And look! Another 14 jars! I did it! I know...It's sad how excited I am. But it's my first time! And they turned out...and the lids sealed and everything! {That was my biggest fear}
Now....only one ginormous bin and about 30 jars left.
Anybody want some canned peaches? :0)

6 comments:

Buxton Family said...

I wish I could have learned with you. I'm kind of the same way...I've watched it done a lot, and helped a little, but not enough to really get the job done. I would love some canned peaches. Can you make peach freezer jam? That sounds yummy.

Anonymous said...

I'm very impressed little sister!

AmyJ said...

Wow all of that sounds very familiar. I am so proud of you. I don't know if I will ever be able to do it by myself. I am not a homemaker either, although I did make raspberry jam this year. By the way-I would gladly take any extra canned peaches off your hands 58 quarts sounds like alot!

Holly said...

I'll help! I canned some for the first time this year too!

Ashlee said...

Just as an update here...

A total of 52 jars were canned this last weekend.

And I still have more peaches.

I'm not kidding.

We are going to be eating a lot of peaches around here.

Peach bread, peach kabobs, peach pudding, peach pie, peach pancakes.....you get the idea.

Alicia said...

Wow, those look awesome!