Mackenzee started asking me about cookies early yesterday morning.
"Mom, ont cookies! Do-wah {Dora} cookies! Peeeaaasss!"
We had no cookies on hand. I know you are all gasping in disbelief. My sweets shelf has NO cookies? Landon finished them off last week and I haven't gotten more. So sue me! {Yes, I have a shelf in the pantry just for sweets. Is there something wrong with that?}
So, I explained to Kenzee that we were out. Well, that wasn't going to work for her. So, she said she wanted to make cookies. What? I've just recently gotten out the "helping chair" for her. She shouldn't be asking to actually MAKE things yet. Right?
{Again...some of you will understand that and some will not. So, I'll explain. Landon has been helping me in the kitchen since he was about 18 months old. Mixing, stirring, pouring, dumping....good stuff! When he helped I would get out a step stool that would get him right up to the counter and make him tall enough to do the helping. Nothing fancy. Just a step stool. He eventually named it the "helping chair". Everytime he wanted to help he would ask for his helping chair. So, now you know.}
Back to the story...Kenzee has not been as lucky as her brother. She is 28 months old. I've just barely let her in to help the last month. She's not as mellow as her brother, so I haven't dared to let her help yet. Anyway...she's done pretty good so far so I told her that we could definitely make some cookies today, but that we had to go run our errands first. She agreed on the terms and off to Target we went.
{Another disclaimer here....I don't really like to make cookies. Cookie bars...I'm all for it! But individual cookies take FOREVER! And for some reason, if they are homemade, it doesn't matter how yummy they are, they don't get eaten in my house. Store bought cookies disappear quickly though. Sigh. So, guess who ends up eating ALL of them? Me! So, for holidays I usually buy the Pillsbury holiday cake mix and use the Funfetti Cookie recipe on the side of the box. It only makes a couple dozen cookies and they are super quick and easy.}
I bought the Valentine cake mix and a tub of matching frosting while at Target so we'd be ready. After nap time, we got to mixing up the batter. Apparently my mind had completely forgotten the whole point of us buying that box of cake mix because I followed the instructions for the cake mix....NOT the cookie recipe. Sigh. Too late. I'm sorry Mackenzee....we have to make cupcakes. She wasn't thrilled.
BUT, thankfully Landon walked in the door the next moment and was thrilled we were getting our "bake on" in the kitchen. He grabbed a spoon and started to fill up the cupcake liners with batter and soon Kenzee had completely forgotten about the cookies she had focused on the ENTIRE day. Thanks Landon! Did I mention how much I love you? :0)

Here is Landon showing Kenzee the "right way" to do it. For those of you noticing the dining room table chair and not the "official" helping chair...it is in the black hole that is my garage. I can't find it. Hopefully it will resurface next month when we get to finally empty it out. For now, my nice chairs will have to work. I am cringing as I look at the boots my son is wearing as he stands on it. Sigh. Oh well.

This is Kenzee's version of "carefully filling up the cupcake liners". I think she did pretty good for her first time. Don't you?

"Mom...can I eat ALL the ones I frost?" I let him get away with THREE! And he says I'm mean! Kenzee just wanted to put the sprinkles on top.

"Dad! Help! Heew, it's pink!" Just letting you know that Jaysen did get in on the pink frosting action. He's an excellent froster. :0)

Look at that technique!

The end result. Isn't it beautiful?

After Landon realized I was going to let him eat them right after he frosted them, he piled the frosting on his third and final cupcake. He's enjoying it though! Who doesn't like a cupcake with lots of pink frosting on it?
Even if they're not cookies.
5 comments:
Looks good! I am going to be making Valentine cookies with Abby this afternoon...hope they turn out as good as yours!
Valentine Baking, that is awesome wit the whole family and as far as I am concerned Landon got that last one just about perfect. Love frosting!
Yummy you are one brave momma to let them really do it themselves I just let cole make the cupcakes for his class party yesterday I have to say he di a pretty good job even seperated the egg whites However I am not brave enough to let Rhett or Maggie pour the batter or frost just yet...
You are an awsome Mom! I am to much of a control freak when it comes to baking with my kids. I just need to let go and have some fun!
I miss baking with my kids when they were little. Now, they do it on their own. They are quite good too! I think I will make cupcakes for my preschoolers to frost tomorrow. They will love it.
Post a Comment